Sunday, December 5, 2010

daylight licked me into shape

I spent last week in Guam, soaking up the the sunny rays I missed out on this summer (for reasons previously stated). Going to beach resorts outside of the U.S. always make me slightly sad. There's always a feeling that there's a rape and pillage occurring on not only the natural beauty of the landscape but also on the people living there. My recent lifestyle of living out of my suitcase has made me all too aware of the glass ceiling that exists between the hotel workers and hotel guests. Most of the people working at the Sheraton Laguna Resort would never be able to afford a week long leisure trip in their own workplace, much less elsewhere.

But enough of the heavy stuff.

The island itself is a mish-mash of all these different cultures living in coexistence (and abandonment). There's the Plaza de Espana and the Dulce Nombre de Maria Cathedral Basilica - remnants of the Spanish takeover. The remains are poorly maintained and in desperate need of renovation. At the same time, there's something sadly beautiful about the dilapidation.

The beach near the hotel is rocky and horrendous for walking around. It feels more like dirt than sand. The good thing was that there were no people there.

P.S. A mini-disaster occurred when I ventured onto the beach with my camera & tripod. My oversized, scary paparazzi camera is now at the camera doctor, getting treatment. It's not looking good. I may be asking Santa for a new DSLR for Christmas. Any recs?

guam-1
At the Plaza de Espana. Last remnants of Spain's influence on the island.
guam-2
The Chocolate House.
guam-5
guam-3
guam-4
Roof of the Chocolate House.
guam-6
I fell in love with this tree.
guam-7
The last photo before my camera died. :(

guam-9
View of the hotel from the beach.
guam-10
guam-8

4 comments:

  1. Oh no!! I'm so sorry to hear about your camera :( It had some great last photos but I hope you get it back all repaired and ready to go!

    I'd love to tell you more about Mexico! I'm in finals week right now but how about when I get back home for the holidays? We can schedule a time to chat or I'll send you an e-mail with more info! I think it's great that you're considering Mexico :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. love these picture, the scenery is gorgeous. such a lovely blog :)

    ditchthetrend.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOVE your blog!
    please visit my blog and you may win a GIVEAWAY!
    TheGreenPoet

    http://everydaygiveaway.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. When in Guam...Love the pictures!

    ReplyDelete