Friday, August 24, 2012

12. girls who like boys who like boys

There are very few things about my life that I'm so emphatically positive were meant to happen. One of those is that I was born to be a hag.*

Like every girl who grew up obsessed with fashion in the late 90s/early 00s, I was introduced to gay men by "Sex and the City." In addition to the dream apartment in UWS and a closet filled with designer clothes, I knew that I needed to be around a giant group of gay men. Unfortunately, I attended a Catholic high school and my dreams of meeting an openly gay man would be delayed for a few years.

Fast forward to the summer of 2005. I was slated to leave for a semester abroad in England and was trolling through the Facebook group when I stumbled upon the most awesome profile ever. These were the early days of Facebook where we all shamelessly listed our interests, favorite artists, films, etc. and made our profiles as enormously long as possible. Favorite movie? The Little Mermaid. Favorite artist? Britney Spears. Then there were a series of photos of him taking photos of himself, Korean selca-style. Finally, someone whose narcissism matched my own. I think that's when I knew we were going to be friends.

Years later and many boys later, my gaggle of gays has grown, and I can't imagine a night out without an entourage or the biting commentary on Atlanta's terrible sense of dress at night. But just as you can't ever truly forget your first love, I could never sever ties to my first GBF. Who else would have an epic fight with me and then go see a wack psychic in the suburbs of Orlando? Or join me on an alcoholic binge trip to Paris? Love you forever, b!

*I don't have an issue with this word, but I know some people do. I've used it here because it's too long to type "princess of ATL gays" repeatedly.

topshop-forever21-chloe-gucci


Topshop Moto denim shirt
Forever 21 floral tulle skirt
Chloe red laser wedge sandals
vintage Gucci doctor bag

5 comments:

  1. Love love love that vintage Gucci bag. I actually like their vintage bag more than a lot of their current stuff. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too! Their newer items can look really tacky. There's only so much detailing one can handle - a bamboo handle with a bedazzled dragon? Rap star girlfriend.

      Delete
  2. I really love your outfit..beautiful skirt!
    & great post. I've always wanted a GBF!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Like you, I never knew any gays growing up. That all changed when I started university... more importantly, Fine Arts. They. Were. Everywhere! It took a little getting used to, but they definitely made art school more bearable!

    ~F

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love how you pair your skirts with these versatile shirts.

    ReplyDelete