Monday, September 10, 2012

15. fashion blog speak

Have you ever noticed that fashion blogs have their own language? There are definitely a few phrases that I've noticed are specific to fashion blogs. The use (or more often, misuse) of these words stems from the fact that most fashion bloggers are not the best writers. (There are, of course, a number of exceptions to this overly generalized statement.)

I'm ridiculous, so I've kept a running tally of these phrases in my tiny Muji notebook.
  • "organic" way of dressing - trans. I found this on the floor and put it on but need an intelligent way to describe how I got dressed today.
  • "infamous" - trans. very famous (ed. note: this word is sorely misused and makes me cringe when I hear it referred in blog-speak.)
  • "working on some exciting new projects" - trans. I'm busy and have worn the same outfit for the past two weeks, explaining why there are no outfit posts.
  • "the boy/boyf/man friend/man" - trans. boyfriend.
Anything else you'd like to add to the list?

christopherkane-topshop-alligator-shirt-10crosbylane-balenciaga-cut-out-boots
ph. by Lillie

Tommy Hilfiger canvas jacket (similar here and here)
Topshop x Christopher Kane alligator shirt
10 Crosby ikat shorts
Balenciaga cut out boots (or as loafers)


7 comments:

  1. Okay I totally know what you mean, especially "infamous" and "the boy". I can't for the life of me remember any others right now!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't know if this is exactly on topic, but I can't stand when bloggers say things like "I wore x to bring out the color in y" or "matched to." Like, think outside of the box, man! Just because your necklace is red doesn't mean your shoes and bag have to be, too. I really don't understand a lot of "fashion" bloggers or how they have so many freaking followers. #rant

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, I love this! Infamous really annoys me when I see it used incorrectly & I see it so often on blogs. I think fashion speak in general makes me really cringe, especially things like 'amazeballs'... Urrgh, shut up!
    Also, I am so jealous of you alligator tee, it looks so good on you & you've just reminded me how much I wanted one... I never managed to get it in store & then refused to pay the ridiculous prices on eBay!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm definitely guilty of using the term "the boy"

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love your definition of "working on some exciting new projects" bahahahaha.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Smitten. Completely overused! "I'm so smitten with this new designer," or "This colour has me smitten." GAH! We get it, you're in love with inanimate objects, move on!

    ~F

    ReplyDelete
  7. haha i love this post , i also love your shoes! xxx

    ReplyDelete