Monday, August 31, 2009

american fashion cookbook - doori chung's recipe

Last Thursday, my copy of the American Fashion Cookbook finally arrived into my virgin cooking hands. After much coaxing, I managed to get Fifi to come over for dinner under the single stipulation that she assist me in my endeavor to poison her whet the world's appetite.

Photobucket

I decided to try Doori Chung's recipe for Tilapia and Olive Risotto, mostly because I'd heard of her dinner parties from a few attendees. Also, it didn't hurt that the recipe called for a few interesting ingredients and had an element of simplicity... or so I thought.

Photobucket
Photobucket

After a 2 hour trip to the market for the proper ingredients, we turned on MTV Hits as we prepared what turned out to be a very long meal. Prepping the fish was extremely simple. Salt+pepper+thyme.

Photobucket
Photobucket

But the risotto was another story. There was a lot of stirring. A LOT of stirring. And most of the time, it looked like congealed mush. NOT appetizing.

Photobucket

But the end product turned out to be more spectacular than expected. It was a beautiful, simply created meal. And to top off our hard worked four hours, Rosa Regale toasted us to a drunken end. I think I'm done cooking for a while. Maybe I'll try again next month.

Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket

15 comments:

  1. I've never tried making risotto but yours looks tasty! yum yum

    ReplyDelete
  2. i didnt realize that i was hungry at all until i saw this o_O i LOVE simple fish dishes really!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. yum yum, looks good! i've been wanting to try my hand at risotto for the longest time. ahh, i need to get down to it!

    interesting concept for the book too, have to go see if my local book store carries it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooo I want this book! Though I have to say I never think of fashion people as foodies- it's the reason I'll never be model-thin (the model-height... I wish I could eat my way to 5'9).
    That fish looks divine by the way, well done, Miss A! Oh and I do hope we run into each other at DBF. Cath and I might be in the blogger tent (yes, there is a blogger tent)- but sweating it out over my mac doesn't sound too appealing... none the less, check there first!

    ps- oh my gawd! Cath and I looooove Hugh Laurie in S&S- reading the newspaper, rolling his eyes, holding a baby- steals the show!

    ReplyDelete
  5. that looks delicious!! i always want to incorporate more fish to my diet but am hesitant to cook it... maybe i will go get some tilapia for dinner tonight!

    ReplyDelete
  6. How the flip did I forget about this book?!! Gah, totally need to whip some fashionable meals. Well I say that, but I'll probably end up penciling over the recipes in a bid to 'improve' them lol. Hope you're having a beautiful day dear :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. omg that looks delish.
    i want some fish now.
    ummm

    ReplyDelete
  8. oh wow. the book and your cook are so adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Looking Delicious! Where did u get the book from?

    ReplyDelete
  10. happy cooking ! haha . i can't cook either . and that book looks great ! my mom said , i'm not a girl if i can't cook . lol .

    ReplyDelete
  11. that's why i'd only order risotto, never make my own. i don't have the patience to stand there stirring for 30 minutes! but mm that looks good. isn't tilapia amazing? it's my favorite new cooking fish.

    ReplyDelete
  12. That looks amazing. What a cool book! I should acquire that...

    ReplyDelete
  13. ok, i'm going to make a sandwich now ...

    ReplyDelete