Monday, May 24, 2010

wahoo - a decatur grill & joel brasserie

A short break from the Europe pictures. As soon as I got back, I made appointments to gorge before I leave again, this time for Korea. Next Wednesday, I'll be on yet another flight - this time for 13 hours - to Seoul for about a week and a half. Oh joy.

I stopped by Wahoo - a Decatur Grill on Thursday evening, after my best gay and I packed up 90% of my apartment. It was a well earned dinner of swordfish (for me) and salmon (for him). I felt it was an okay dinner, but the location really threw me off. I don't understand why a restaurant located near the Marta station would try and market itself as fine dining. But I love, love, love their outdoor seating area.

wahoo10-1

wahoo10-2

wahoo10-3

wahoo10-4
The swordfish. The sauce was excellent.

wahoo10-5
The tuna with a soy sauce based jus pocked with cream cheese.

On Friday night, I met up with Riri for a snobby French dinner at Joel Brasserie off Northside Parkway, near Westminster Schools. Over a bottle of Spanish red with bits of cork in the wine, we discussed the confusion we have over all these Atlanta French brasseries (Anis, FAB, Joel) making what is essentially French bar food into fine dining. We continued our puzzlement over the placement of osso bucco in the menu and the lack of confit du canard (my absolute favorite). But as we got good and drunk and filled our bellies with good cheese and then later a hanger steak, we changed the subject to the lone GA Tech diner who came to the restaurant wearing a T-shirt and GA Tech hat. Maybe he was confused by the "brasserie" part in Joel's name, too.

joel10-1

joel10-2

joel10-3

joel10-4
We loved the feta, machego, and a creamy French cheese.

joel10-5

joel10-6
Grilled hanger steak, rare, with onions & peppercorns.

2 comments:

  1. looks delicious

    ReplyDelete
  2. nomm!!! so i want the swordfish, tuna, cheese and wine... Soo delicious!!

    ReplyDelete