Wednesday, June 20, 2012

review: the optimist, westside

I'm a huge fan of seafood. I actually prefer it to any other form of meat, but thus far, Atlanta's really been lacking in providing a really good seafood restaurant. (But don't hate on Red Lobster. Those cheddar biscuits are worth every single of those 150 calories, 8 grams of fat, and 350 mg of sodium.) Words cannot describe the elation I had when I heard that The Optimist was opening on the Westside.

theoptimist-atlanta-7
theoptimist-atlanta-3

Opened by Chef Ford Fry of JCT Kitchen (another delicious Atlanta must), the interior is impeccable. Clean, white walls. Wooden dining accents. Open kitchen. And the most perfect oval shaped bar.

theoptimist-atlanta-1
theoptimist-atlanta-2
theoptimist-atlanta-4

I went there for lunch, which has a good smattering of items from the dinner menu. We ordered the lobster roll and the blackened redfish sandwich. There were definitely bahn mi influences in the redfish sandwich with its use of coleslaw and cilantro. (Thanks, L.) And the flavors were excellent in the lobster roll (possibly the best lobster roll I've had), but I do wish there was more of it.

theoptimist-atlanta-5
Lobster roll with fries
theoptimist-atlanta-6
Blackened redfish sandwich with fries

I'd definitely like to go back for dinner, if only to check out their extensive drink list. And of course, to grab some of their raw oysters.


The Optimist 
914 Howell Mill Rd.
Atlanta, GA 30318
(404) 477-6260

7 comments:

  1. I love the interior of the resto. It's a win. The food looks yummy too. Except I'm wayyy to far to go and have a visit. >.<

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmmm! Everything looks so delicious, and the interior design of the restaurant is FANTASTIC! If i'm ever in Atlanta I'll most definitely be stopping by.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never been a fan of seafood - I'm veggie now, but when I did eat meat I mainly stuck to chicken and the off bit of lamb, always hated fish and crustacea. BUT I do like the design of this place and the fries look delish!

    P.S. Totally agree on the Sartorialist, he and his ilk have ruined "fashion" for me

    ReplyDelete
  4. I want to order like 5 lobster rolls right now.

    ReplyDelete
  5. those fries look so good! & I really like your blog - you have nice style.

    Thanks for your comments on my blog. I totally understand what you mean about Oscar Wilde's tomb. I wonder how the lipstick thing even started. Also with Jim Morrison's..I heard it got vandalized before.

    & no, Portugal isn't one of my favourite teams lol. They were actually my least favourite out of their group and I'm not a huge fan of Ronaldo.

    ReplyDelete
  6. btw is your blog name taken from Streets of Paris? hahah I was obsessed with that song at one time..

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gah I love the interiors and graphics of this restaurant particularly that squid wallpaper in the first photo. Personally am not a big fan of seafood except steamed fish (so chinese) and cod/seabass... but shellfish I personally find takes too much effort to get the meat out. Hehehe.
    And yes those cheddar biscuits are pretty much the only reason why I go to Red Lobster in Canada.

    ReplyDelete