Friday, February 27, 2009

lace teddies in barcelona

I recently got a chance to watch the much recognized "Vicky Cristina Barcelona" starring that blonde girl who’s a bad actress, that creepy looking guy who looks like 4 other people, and Penelope Cruz. (That Oscar she won – it was much deserved because she was so unbelievably good.) It was what you would typically expect from a Woody Allen movie: pseudo-intellectualism, great scenery shots, artist enclaves, wisps of some faded bohemian ideology that no longer applies in our capitalist world. Aside from the passion-incensed Maria Elena (Cruz), my second favorite character had to be Doug (played by Chris Messina). I used to live next to people like him – hell, I have people like him in my family – and he’s just so damn predictable and readable that it’s quite comforting to have someone like him in this mess of a complex movie/world.

Aside from the plot, I really loved watching Penelope waltz around Barcelona in various versions of a lacy nightgown. Sometimes she would opt for slutty prostitute (the pink and black lace) but then counter it with a long, matronly white slip. My favorite had to be the one she wore on the picnic paired with a black top hat.

Whimsical in various states of undress in Barcelona. Sounds like my ideal summer. Anyone else up for it?

Photobucket

7 comments:

  1. I can't wait for warmer weather!!! I actually just bought some slips that I'm dying to wear! Too bad we're getting a snow storm in like 2 days!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love what she's wearing in that movie as well, so breezy and light. If only it was warm enough to wear such things here. But it's the dead of winter... *sigh*

    ~F

    ReplyDelete
  3. i've been wanting to watch that movie! but the whole blonde girl that can't act thing keeps me from doing it haha. now i definitely must see it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. i ordered it the other night and forgot to watch it!
    and ALSO thank you for even telling me where to find it. I wouldn't even have bought the dress if you didn't tell me it was at Eluxury. I'm sad that they made a mistake I wish you could have gotten it too and worn it to that wedding! Those guys would go crazy and give you a ring and maybe by you some more awesome clothes.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh snap, I seriously have to check this film out. It sounds so wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Spain sounds like the best place to holiday. (that's not even a verb) That pic of her in pink slip and cigarette is so hot, gotta watch that film. woody Allen is forever stuck with scarlett johanssen, poorbloke.

    ReplyDelete
  7. She was crazygood and crazyhot in this film. Ah i loved her and i don't even like her! And of cos the scenery was oh-incredible. This movie was a movie in itself but also a travel-discovery episode haha.

    ReplyDelete